Monday, April 9, 2018

How to sign a PDF by installing a CACert certificate in your Windows Store

CACert.org is a free community-based digital certificate authority. They are not rich enough to have got themselves added yet by default to the Windows Store. You have to add them yourself. But that's not my only trouble. I have trouble just getting my Personal Certificate to work sometimes because I don't really understand the way it's supposed to work. This cheat sheet will remind me.



Open Internet Explorer (the legacy Windows web browser).
1. Settings, Internet Options, Content, Certificates area, Certificates button, Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab. CA Cert Signing Authority must be there.
2. [Updated for 2019] You must create a certificate in Firefox and export it to a file. Then import it to the Windows store using Internet Explorer.

No comments: